Sherpa is implementing background checks across the platform:
- All new drivers signing up on or after 20 Dec 2019 will need to complete background checks and submit proof of insurance for a minimum of Third Party Property prior to account activation;
- All existing drivers have till 1 March 2020 to complete the background checks and submit proof of insurance for a minimum of Third Party Property, before they will lose access to the platform.
1. Why is Sherpa making background checks compulsory across the platform?
Background checks are a minimum requirement set by more and more new Clients. Drivers that do not meet those requirements, will not be able to access those jobs on the Sherpa app. Implementing background checks helps drivers not only getting more jobs from new clients, but existing clients will also be more willing to send more high-value items via Sherpa (as this is one of the most common requests we get).
2. What is included in the background check?
The background check consists of a national police check and a work rights/VEVO check. You can apply for a new police check (roughly $45) or upload an existing one via WorkPro. Both checks will be fulfilled by the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) certified provider WorkPro. You will receive the login details for WorkPro in a separate email.
3. Can I use an existing police check and how do I upload this?
Yes, you can use an existing national police check that is issued less than a year ago and the purpose is "courier" or delivery driver services" in the transportation or logistics sector, or similar. Police checks with different purposes will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
You can upload your existing police check in WorkPro under "documents". For data security reasons, police checks submitted to Sherpa will not be processed.
4. What happens if I don't complete a background check?
You are of course free to decide not to go ahead with a background check, that is completely up to you. You are an independent contractor and are free to choose if you want to do Sherpa deliveries. If you chose not to complete this, you will lose access to the platform by 1 March 2020. Again, the cost of a background check is your business decision and we respect the outcome of this regardless.
5. I have a disclosable court outcome on my record. Does my account get unapproved because of this?
Not necessarily. If you have a Summary Offence on your record: depending on the type of offence, whether or not you were convicted, and how long ago the offence took place, your account might not get unapproved. Convicted Indictable Offences will most likely lead to account unapproval due to the nature of courier services.
6. What kind of proof of insurance is accepted?
Your proof of insurance will have to show that it will cover any damages to property you cause with your vehicle while providing courier services. In practice, this will most likely be Third Party Property or Comprehensive Vehicle insurance. As Compulsory Third Party (CTP, green slip) insurance only compensates people killed or injured by your motor vehicle, this coverage is inadequate to meet the Sherpa coverage requirements.
Acceptable proof of insurance documents are:
- copy of your Third Party Property Vehicle insurance policy
- copy of your Comprehensive Vehicle insurance policy
- copy of your Public Liability insurance policy
- if you lease or rent your vehicle: a copy of the rental agreement that states the insurance cover
- if you use a vehicle that is not in your name and also not rented or leased: copy of the vehicle's insurance policy that states that the vehicle is also insured in case of an accident if operated by people other than the primary policyholder.
7. I don't have insurance, do you have any recommendations for a provider?
Sherpa has partnered up with Youi's professional vehicle insurance to get you a cashback up to $120 if purchased via the unique link you have received via email. Professional vehicle insurance is specifically intended for vehicles that are used for commercial purposes. If you have any questions regarding Youi's insurance, please contact them directly via 1300 231 772.